Live to Ride

Motorcycle Stuff. Memories & diary of rides in Northern California. Member of CMA (Christian Motorcycle Association), promoting Christian fellowship and safety. My passion for freedom and adventure on two wheels.

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Archive for the 'Trip Planning' Category


Meaningful Travel
Published on June 20, 2007 in Scribblings and Trip Planning. 0 Comments
by D. Brent Miller

When I travel, I like to make it meaningful, perhaps even spiritual. How? By studying the history of the places I visit, whether it be a museum or a roadside historical marker. I am always looking to learn something about a place. I am always looking to find something that puts things in perspective and harmony. And most importantly, sharing my findings and observations with others through writing and photography.

I am always looking to learn something about human nature and myself in my travels. You know those four little questions we all ask of ourselves, “Who am I?” “Where did I come from?” “Why am I here?” “Where am I going?” For me, all travel asks these questions as a foundation for hitting the road.

“Who am I” is always a journey of self discovery, whether on the motorcycle, in a car, traveling by rail or airplane. Who am I to take this journey? Why me? What’s my motivation? Or should I say moto-vation. The best journey is one that is meaningful, that aids in self-discovery no matter how great or small the moment. It doesn’t hurt to have a little fun in your travels, either.

The simple and sarcastic answer to “Where did I come from” is: Well … this morning I left the house for the studio. But where I came from is a lineage of parents, grand parents, great grand parents, and their ancestors–each individual contributing to my DNA and very essence. I can see my features in both my parents, and I look remarkably like my great grand father whom I never met. On top of that DNA are all the experiences, the journeys and people I have met. Each one has provided a certain amount of influence, including the bad ones, for it is through all life experiences that our own is shaped.

“Where am I going?” Today, nowhere in particular. But tomorrow, I am getting a new front tire for the motorcycle. Friday, I will meet my brother about half way to Indianapolis for lunch–I plan to test that new tire. The bigger picture of where I am going is part of that self discovery. Along the way, I will learn something about myself, and it will make me a better person, spouse, friend.

The hardest question to answer is, “Why am I here.” For many, it is just one day at a time, plodding along. Some are meant to lead. Others follow. A few rebel. Plenty non-conform. We have this whole life to figure it out … and then we account for it.

For me, meaningful travel, meaningful life, is like a highway. It goes up and down, curves, and sometimes extends out of sight. It traverses through beautiful countryside or through desolate areas. But, it is the joy of travel and the affirmation of self-discovery on that highway that makes it meaningful.–DBrent
Words & Images:
http://www.sojournchronicles.com/2007/10/31/introducing-words-images/
Sojourner's Moto Tales
http://sojournerrides.blogspot.com/

Labels: